Sunday, June 7, 2009

Fluffy Cinnamon Rhubarb Muffins -- Lower Fat!

Rubbarb Muffins

B-Bakes up fluffy and delicious
E-Everyone wins!
S-Starts your day off right
T-Tested four batches just this week!

R-Reliable and quick
H-(w)Hole Wheat goodness
U-Utterly delectable with a cafe au lait
B-Better way to use up that rhubarb
A-Are low fat, Whoot
R-Right, I said Low Fat!
B-Believe it, they are good for you.

M-Mouth watering
U-Undeniable
F-Fantastic for an afternoon snack
F-Fluffy fluffy fluffy!
I-Insatiable cinnamon sugar topping
N-Never had a better muffin (oh it's true)
S-Serve warm, you won’t be sorry!

What else could I say? I first saw these in "fine cooking" but I couldn't take all the fat and sugar, so I played around with the recipe till it was just right! I have been waiting to put these up for a week, but we keep eating the batch before any pictures can be taken. I had to refrain today and keep four aside for photos. With the delicate sprinkle of cinnamon sugar on top, there is no way to stop yourself from devouring each and every muffin. Good thing they are low fat! No really, it’s a good thing or else I would have to join the gym.


Fluffy Lower Fat Rhubarb Cinnamon Muffins
adapted from www.finecooking.com

1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
2-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup zero fat natural yogurt
4 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg
1 egg white
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups 1/4-inch-diced rhubarb
For the topping:
1-1/2 Tbs. granulated sugar
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon

Heat the oven to 400°F Spray muffin tins with oil. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt and blend. In a medium bowl, whisk together the yogurt, melted butter, eggs, maple syrup, and vanilla until smooth. Lightly stir the yogurt mixture into the dry ingredients with a spatula until the batter just comes together; do not over mix. Gently stir in the diced rhubarb. The batter will be thick. Divide the batter among the muffin cups. The batter should mound a bit higher than the tops of the cups.In a small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon and mix well. Sprinkle a generous 1/2 tsp. of the cinnamon-sugar mixture over each muffin. Bake the muffins until they’re golden brown and a pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 18 to 22 minutes. (mine took 18) Rotate halfway through baking for even muffins. Transfer to a rack and let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Carefully lift the muffins out of the pan. Serve warm.

10 comments:

Simones Kitchen said...

O what a lovely combination of flavours! And low fat.... Mmmm, I just got to try that! Now even the low fat will not help the need to go to the gym by the way... In fact; I am off to my spinning class right now, just so I might be able to make those delicious muffins later..:)

♥peachkins♥ said...

It looks yummy, though I must admit i haven't tasted rhubarb before.

Valérie said...

Cool, they look just like the unsweetened muffins at the bakery near my place! Kudos for experimenting: it's good to know sour cream can be replaced by non-fat yogurt sometimes!

Coco Bean said...

Simone: I hate the gym, here it's full of ugly sweaty muscle men who stare at your butt the whole time. I just got my bike out yesterday and that usually keeps me in shape during the summer! In the winter I just put on a pound or two, because seriously, under all those sweaters and snowsuits no one will notice! It's great that you go to spinning class, maybe I should go to one of those, are there gross sweaty men in them?

Peachkins: Thanks, well if you are looking for a first time recipe for rhubarb this is it. Ian had never tasted rhubarb before these and he loved them!

Valerie: Oh, where do I get unsweetened muffins?? I have to admit that I read in the reviews that someone replaced the sour cream with yogurt. You can even use the no sugar no fat yogurt!

Sabine, La Marquise des anges said...

I love so much the BEST RHUBARB MUFFINS thing :)
wheat flour, brown sugar maple syrup, ground cinnamon, rhubarb ...

sounds delicious ... besides I do have some rhubarb left here ... rhubarb is very common in Normandie but not here in the south west of france, the climate is not appropriate ... they are quite hard to grow. my parents tried like dozen of time. finally my father digged a deep hole + at least 1 meters in diameter , then pour in ... soil from normandy ..;and it worked ... then we had to apologize and recognize it was a goog idea ... but driving almost 1000 km with kilos of fresh soil sounds weird at the first place ;)

Aimée said...

Heh, I made rhubarb muffins last week too. These look a lot healthier, though.

Valérie said...

You can get unsweetened muffins at Première Moisson. There are several shops around Montreal, you're probably familiar with them. They have rhubarb-strawberry, carrot, maple, and other flavours I can't recall right now. I think it's a good bakery, even though it's part of a franchise.

Creative Classroom Core said...

Love these! I am making them today and will post about them soon!
Love your blog!

Pat said...

I used to buy the regular Cinnamon for my recipes. But I read that the Cinnamon that we buy is actually Casssia.

Cassia contains 1250 times more coumarin than real Cinnamon. So now I only use real Cinnamon as it is considered coumarin safe.

Jennifer Jo said...

This look delicious! I'm a rhubarb fiend, but now the season is over and I used so much of it fresh that I didn't get more than a couple bags squirreled away in the freezer. Next year is so far away...